As founding Artistic Director of Alameda Theatre Company, one of Canada’s only theatre companies dedicated to developing the new work of Latinx Canadian playwrights Marilo developed/produced and/or directed The Refugee Hotel, Chile Con Carne, The Intruder among others. Alameda’s De Colores Festival of New Works was the first and only play development festival for Latino/a writers in Canada and developed over 30 playwrights including Carmen Aguirre, Rosa Laborde, and Amaranta Leyva.Marilo has been nominated for the KM Hunter Artist Award and was nominated for the Most Influential Hispanics in Canada (2010) and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Spirit Awards (2013). She was Playwright-in-Residence at Aluna Theatre in 2015-2016. Marilo is a graduate of Ryerson Theatre School.
El Retorno/I Return will be part of Why Not Theatre’s Riser Project 2017 at the Theatre Centre and The Meeting will be presented at Theatre Aquarius’ Studio Series in 2017. She will be starting her MFA in Creative Writing in the fall of 2017 at the University of Guelph.
- El Retorno/I Return (Theatre Aquarius’ Playwright’s Unit, first developed as part of the Tarragon Playwrights Unit in 2013)
- La Reunion/The Meeting (Canadian translation of the Chilean play by Trinidad Gonzalez)
- Sangre Redux (Alameda’s De Colores/ Cahoot’s Theatre Hot House Playwright’s Unit)
- Three Fingered Jack & the Legend of Joaquin Murieta (published byPlaywrights Canada Press, FronterasVivientes, the first anthology of Latino Canadian plays).
- Paradise Red (CocodriloTriste/Alameda)
- Soliciting Temptation (Ass’tDir/Tarragon Theatre)
- Chile Con Carne (Alameda)
- The Intruder (Alameda)
- Hallaj (Ass’t Director/Modern Times).