As founding Artistic Director of Alameda Theatre Company, a company dedicated to the development of new work by Latinx playwrights, Marilo created a groundswell for emerging and established playwrights from the Latin American diaspora in Canada. She developed/produced and/or directed many shows helmed by Latinx writers, including The Refugee Hotel, Chile Con Carne, The Intruder among others. Alameda’s De Colores Festival of New Works was the first and only play development festival for Latinx writers in Canada and developed over 30 playwrights including Carmen Aguirre, Rosa Laborde, Bruce Gibbons Fell, Martha Chaves, Amanda Parris, and Amaranta Leyva.
As a playwright, Marilo has been nominated for the KM Hunter Artist Award and was nominated for the Most Influential Hispanics in Canada (2010) and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Spirit Awards (2013). She was Playwright-in-Residence at Aluna Theatre in 2015-2016. Marilo is a graduate of Ryerson Theatre School (in Acting) and is currently doing her MFA in Creative Writing (with a focus on playwriting) from the University of Guelph. Marilo is currently the first Playwright-In-Residence at McMaster University’s Theatre and Film Studies program.
Marilo is currently working on a stage adaptation of Yuri Hererra’s searing contemporary novel, Signs Preceding the End of the World.
Marilo is developing a play with the 4th year students at McMaster University for the Socrates Project whose theme in 2018-19 is Democracy and Dissent. The working title of the play is ISEGORIA.
- Inquest (developed as part of the MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Guelph)
- El Retorno/I Return (Theatre Aquarius’ Playwright’s Unit, first developed as part of the Tarragon Playwrights Unit, 2013)
- La Reunion/The Meeting (Canadian translation of the Chilean play by Trinidad Gonzalez)
- Sangre Redux (Alameda’s De Colores/ Cahoot’s Theatre Hot House Playwright’s Unit)
- Three Fingered Jack & the Legend of Joaquin Murieta (published by Playwrights Canada Press, Fronteras Vivientes, the first anthology of Latino Canadian plays), first developed as part of Nightwood Theatre’s Groundwell program.
- North East Side Story (co-writer)
- El Retorno/I Return (El Retorno Collective as part of Why Not Theatre’s 2017 Riser Project)
- Paradise Red (CocodriloTriste/Alameda)
- Soliciting Temptation (Ass’tDir/Tarragon Theatre)
- Chile Con Carne (Alameda)
- The Intruder (Alameda)
- Hallaj (Ass’t Director/Modern Times).